How to defeat the MOC pirates in your back yard:
1) Get involved in your state medical society-the very largest one!
2) Change your Med Exec bylaws to prohibit MOC or Certification (as this will always expire per ABMS new rules) as requirement for membership! CMS is on your side!:
Those in hospital bound specialties simply need to change the medical staff requirements to eliminate certification as a requirement-if that even exists! Federal CMS guidelines prohibit board certification as a sole criteria to prohibit membership-this is anticompetitive!
According to CMS:
§482.12(a)(7) Ensure that under no circumstances is the accordance of staff
membership or professional privileges in the hospital dependent solely upon certification, fellowship or membership in a specialty body or society.
§ 482.12 Condition of participation: Governing body.
The hospital must have an effective governing body legally responsible for the conduct of the hospital as an institution. If a hospital does not have an organized governing body, the persons legally responsible for the conduct of the hospital must carry out the functions specified in this part that pertain to the governing body.
(a) Standard: Medical staff. The governing body must:
(1) Determine, in accordance with State law, which categories of practitioners are eligible candidates for appointment to the medical staff;
(2) Appoint members of the medical staff after considering the recommendations of the existing members of the medical staff;
(3) Assure that the medical staff has bylaws;
(4) Approve medical staff bylaws and other medical staff rules and regulations;
(5) Ensure that the medical staff is accountable to the governing body for the quality of care provided to patients;
(6) Ensure the criteria for selection are individual character, competence, training, experience, and judgment; and
(7) Ensure that under no circumstances is the accordance of staff membership or professional privileges in the hospital dependent solely upon certification, fellowship, or membership in a specialty body or society.